Sunday, August 29, 2010

Pall Malls & Skinny Catfish....



Yesterday, I got to pick a restaurant for yet another Birthday feast with my wife's family along with my Mom and Dad.  I had been hearing great things about Manchac lately which is really called Middendorf's on Lake Maurepas just outside of New Orleans.  Anytime, I can take a stroll down memory lane, I'm there.  On the way to this place I was remembering the long journey's to eat with my grand parents in their Oldsmobile car.  55 was the speed limit and that's where the dial was set, no music just lots of sounds of old people sucking their teeth and the smell of burning Pall Malls.


There was always a line when we got there and most of the time we were starving.  When we got to the table we'd eat all the crackers and butter before the waitress even took our order.  Last night, before I even realized it, I had a cracker in my mouth looking around the place.  You can visit your ancestor's tomb but if you really want to remember them and really feel their essence, go to their favorite eateries.  The smell and taste and cracking paint will put you seated right beside them as you layer the place with new memories. 



Middendorf's famous thin fried catfish!

After we filled ourselves with fried seafood, we got in the car and was reminded of those hour long rides home in the Oldsmobile.  Lips smacking, the sound of Tic Tac's being passed around in that little plastic container and a big smile on Grandmother's face.  The other sound was a tiny crack in the driver's window, the Pall Mall creeping through it.  Every time I drive 55 in my old car, I long for these simpler times.








1 comment: