Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Moscot Originals...



At one time I swore I would wear these for life.  I discovered this place walking around the lower east side heading to my favorite coffee spot.  This is the kind of place that makes you love NY.  It has the perfect mix of new and old with great quality.  I found out they were doing vintage style frames with a modern twist and dropped in.  My favorite was the Lemtosh with green lenses.  This reminded me of my days in the machine shop wearing the old safety glasses to go out on the town so we could look like Andy Fletcher of Depeche Mode.  While in NY I would often drop into the shop for a little adjustment to my lenses and carry on to the cafe.  


Like everything else in NY, it became a huge trend and was hard to keep wearing them, but like hats it will be temporary and I can go back to wearing them daily.  



The Lemtosh Frames



In Tortoise shell



It's hard to imagine that Lou Reed and Andy Warhol discovered Moscot's in their day too while brainstorming The Velvet Underground record.  Warhol envisioned the huge banana through Moscot lenses....

No comments:

Post a Comment