Saturday, February 11, 2012

Soul Train...


This is an ode to Don Cornelius, creator of Soul Train and curator for almost three decades.  He was Miles Davis in a Dick Clark world.  When I heard of his passing, I instantly thought of being by the TV around 11 a.m. on Saturday mornings.  It wasn't like anything I had ever seen in the few years I had lived at the time.  I remember coming home one time with a box of hair products begging my mom to perm my hair because I wanted a reason to carry a pick in my back pocket and unbutton my fly collar shirt and walk with my earth shoes.  I used to think it was only because of Michael Jackson, but realized quickly upon you tubing Soul Train that this was a huge factor in shaping my early childhood.  I remember when we were first gathering material for "So Long" and we were trying to define the parameters for what the sound was going to be.  When we explored early New Orleans funk and old 70's R&B, my pick came to mind and that feeling of walking on air was back.  Here's to you Don! And your friends Rick, Marvin, and James. Oh, and you too Teddy "late to the party" Pendergrass.



No comments:

Post a Comment