Friday, February 25, 2011

Good Fortune....


Last Thursday was a beautiful sunny day in New Orleans, one of those days with an optimistic crispness in the air.  You know the kind where everyone you meet is a friend and you have one of those portals of light shining on you allowing you to see clearly.  

My dear friend and collaborator, Mac Premo, gave me a call and said, "hey man, you still own a tux right?" I said, "yes, why"?  "You're nominated for an Emmy for best music composition".  "NO WAY", I said.  "What the Hell for"?  I didn't even remember what piece of music I had written that could merit a nomination of any sort.  So I'm feeling really good now, wow I needed some good music news.  So many days are spent writing and rewriting music and falling in love with new songs.  There's always a battle though, on one shoulder there's the guy who thinks everything is great and the path of creativity is lined with roses and that I'm noble for braving the path of integrity.  The other guy thinks I'm an idiot and sees no value in creating and wants me to show him the money.  I'm always ignoring this little fucker or shooing him away, so Mac's phone call really put him away for good.  

I've never been a fan of award shows, until I was nominated.  I guess you get pissed over time watching everyone else validate their creative selves.  Win or lose, this was a confidence builder for me to keep making the music that comes to me in the middle of the night singing in my bathroom.  The funniest thing about all this is that Mac and I met in the East Village, NY on the stick ball field.  We never talked music, art or anything but balls and strikes until one day we realized that we were both artists.  It's so funny years later what a stick and a ball has brought me.  Much joy today along the path of integrity.  Small steps! 




Endurance and persistence will be rewarded!

No comments:

Post a Comment