Tuesday, December 14, 2010

New York Coffee Culture...


My friends and I were doing a coffee tour of NYC last week when we were doing some shopping downtown.  John and I were reflecting on what a cup of coffee used to mean in the city in the late 90's compared to now.  NY has seen a surge of quality in it's coffee over the past few years, due to the influx of Roasters from the Northwest.  Stumptown, along with many other artisans are teaching the city what a quality cup is all about.  I have long forgotten the Cafe Americano.  My European friends used to look down on American coffee, but after spending time in Paris this year, I'd put NYC coffee up against anything coming out of Europe.


I spent a lot of time in my old neighborhood, Williamsburg and must say Blue Bottle was really impressive.  Coffee is indeed the new wine.  I can't call this a renaissance because I don't think we've ever imagined coffee to this extreme.  The Artisan attitude that is the fabric of daily life in the artist communities is what keeps me coming back to the city for more.


Your old percolator won't cut it anymore.  They have broken drip coffee down to a science.


Cafe Pedlar still ranks high on my list of cafe's because of their combination of space and quality coffee.  Let's not forget that a cafe is a place to dream and write and the combination of a quality bean and ambience can spark the muse.


The Rabbit Hole made my list because of the fact that my friend Dave and I went there on a Saturday morning and had a nice simple breakfast with a good coffee.  They didn't hand me the coffee and stare me down with an attitude, it was just good.  The space pulls you in as well and it is located on Bedford next to my old house.  





No comments:

Post a Comment