Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Chasing the Muse...


It's not always easy to lasso the muse.  She exits the room before you even realize she's there.  In NY while making my first record, she was found in the little nooks of the city.  Often in the subway musician who I would entice to my home studio.  The whole record was a manipulation of the muse.  In those days, incense was used along with many books and meditations.  The computer was huge in my writing process and the combination was often quite frustrating.  Today, it usually comes from sitting quietly with a guitar.  I have fallen in love with the guitar and the many mysteries that lie within.  Now living in New Orleans, I'm finding many inspirations and the biggest is the gypsy scene in the Marigny.  I have become friends with Raphael Bas, who has started to give me lessons.  I don't necessarily want to master the style, but it is influencing me greatly and making me a better player.


I met Raphael through his work with my friend Bart Ramsey in the band Vavavoom.  I've been meeting him on Saturdays and am enjoying my time of exploration.  


The gypsy master, Django Reinhart.  I love the idea of old Paris when all the masters descended on the city.  I wonder if they knew what they were doing at the time or just naively following the muse?



New Orleans own, Harold Batiste and I out one night talking music.  There's so much to learn in the ever expansive world of music, only to learn a glimpse of it and never to master, only to chase her.




No comments:

Post a Comment