Saturday, December 28, 2013

Looking Back at 2013...

Lou Reed

2013 was a good year.  A year of grunt work and pure determination.  We lost a lot of great artist and local folks and our rich past seems to be diminishing into some cheap nothingness.  I don't believe it is totally lost as I'm surrounded by amazing Americans doing great things. We are out numbered however  but I think time will do it's thing and the current lifestyle most Americans are living will be tested and erode away and move on over to our way of thinking.  

Harold Aubert




After my years on Atlantic records and being surrounded by so many folks and opportunities I was left alone and one month turned into a year with no one reaching out to me to continue my musical path.  It was just me and my wife and dog and a guitar. No one seemed to care if I made music or not.  I considered not playing and having a peaceful life without it but songs were always there.  It's just how I digest all that surrounds me. All the joy, pain and unfairness are put into song and somehow just lights it on fire and allows others to let them go too.  Amanda really put a lot of pressure on me to share my music.  It was piling up, song after song and I had no intention or care of sharing live or on record.  For some reason I was afraid of sharing but thanks to this lovely, strong woman I've freed myself from the chains of all this inner conflict.  

I'm so thankful to have completed my recording of "Campo Santo".  I'm so honored to have had the chance to work with so many of my favorite musicians.  Thanks to Danny Blume for taking my project on 3 years ago after a phone call.  You guys are my heroes: Danny Blume, Josh Werner, Dave Burnett, Nels Cline, David Baron, Zack Alford, John Ellis, Misha, Jerry Morotta, Margo Valiente, and Ward Williams. Thanks to my New Orleans live crew: William Chandler, Leesaw, Miss Mec, Graham Hill, Phil Rollins, Elise Pinkham, Stella, and Olivia.  














No comments:

Post a Comment