Thursday, October 20, 2016

Freak-A-Zoid Robots Please Report.......


In 1983, as a wee kid of 12 or so, I witnessed perfection and experienced a change in myself.  The local high school football team, Lutcher Bulldogs, had a new quarterback and he was black.  This was unprecedented at the time.  Roger Staubach, Danny White and John Elway were just some of the names  that came to mind when thinking of QB's.  But that changed quickly the first night I saw Terrence Jones.   




Sitting in the stands to the right of the press box with all the cool kids and my jam box and a Midnight Star tape, I witnessed poetry in motion.  There was definitely "No Parking" in the pocket.  When the defense got too close he'd wiggle his way out and before you know it, he was 40 yards down the field.  Danny White would have folded to the ground.  My dad, Danny Louque, worked the chains for the games and said when the receiver would catch the ball, there would be a loud thump because of how hard he threw the ball.  I'm assuming he was talking about Theron Maddie, or Laurence Felton.  That team made such an impression, I could probably name every position, even you "Chiz".



I could feel myself walking differently the next morning at football practice and would even throw the ball a little harder.  I was swaggering like TaTa before I even knew it.  I was beginning to let my imagination run like never before and learning how to express myself through sport and to rely on instinct.  This would prove to be a life long lesson long after leaving the ball far behind.



Every Friday for 14 weeks straight, I watched #10 become more and more confident in his own direction achieving perfection in the end.  After a great career at Tulane and a Heisman campaign, he played in the CFL.  The NFL wasn't ready for a black quarterback in those times.  In those times!   It's so disappointing and I'm sure it was for Terrence too.  I hope he is continuing to find his glory off of the field.  Joe DiMaggio said you never know who's watching you for the first time so play your best at all times.  I first learned this from watching #10 and think about him from time to time on the road.  When the well worn path appears in my direction, I juke it into the unknown.  Thanks Mr. Jones..."Electricity"!




5 comments:

  1. Good stuff. Didn't know you played ball. I don't even watch football games any more but I played in high school and loved it then. It comes back in my dreams pretty regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where I come from, it's all we had to do. Lately, I've been paying attention to sports again. My interest comes and goes but sometimes I need these distractions.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  4. عندما نتحدث عن الاثاث المكتبي علينا ذكر افضل معارض اثاث مكتبي مودرن في مصر الخاصة بشركة وود أند ديزاين شركة الأثاث المكتبي رقم واحد حيث تملك مجموعة كبيرة جدا من الأثاث المكتبي بكل أنواعه فهي تتميز بالجودة والإتقان في العمل والحرفية من خلال امتلاكها لمجموعة من أفضل الخبراء لمساعدتك في اختيار أنسب تصميم ليناسب مكتب احلامك

    نحن شركة أثاث مكتبي في مصر ونقدم جميع أنواع الأثاث المكتبي. لدينا مجموعة واسعة من المنتجات التي من المؤكد أنها ستلبي احتياجاتك. لدينا أيضًا فريق من الخبراء الذين يمكنهم مساعدتك في اختيار الأثاث المناسب لمكتبك.

    ReplyDelete