Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Simmering Heat and Opera...


Summer is here in New Orleans.  I've been trying to beat the heat and finish this side of the house but I think the heat is here.  We're getting close to the end, just a few more windows and a few more sections to go before we move on to the front of the house or to the Blue Room renovation.  Though it is a lot of detailed work, it is rewarding when you step back and see it from afar.  I guess life can be that way.  We stay so wrapped up in the day to day and it is only when we look back on our time that we can get any kind of perspective.  I would love to only be making music and touring but that sort of life is not knocking my door down.  Instead, I work, renovate and work on music at night and play shows in New Orleans.  Good things do come in though, special people and special projects always come at the right time.  





I've been wanting to play the Marigny Opera for a long time but as usual felt like an outsider in New Orleans as all sorts of other musicians were doing shows there.  Over the past year I have had contact with Dave Hurlbert, the owner and curator of the MOH and we talked of me possibly playing there but he never really knew what I did and time just kept doing what it does.  Well, we finally met the other day for drinks, me thinking I was going to have to explain my story but when we sat down he told me he loved my music and my story.  It really felt good to be accepted in New Orleans by a venue like this.  He not only said he wanted me to do a show there but also gave me the keys and a residency there.



It was very exciting to shut the door behind me that first day and watch the light keep changing while playing piano.  There's a concert Steinway grand piano in there and it takes me back to when I used to only play piano.  I've been down many challenging roads and I never know if I'm taking the right turns but when I sat down in here that day, I felt like I  was home.



The St. Roch Market is nearing completion and looking forward to shopping here.



I was able to salvage a lot of the original glass but also replaced and cut a lot of new glass for the windows.



Jay way up there under the roof scraping.



While Amanda was on her west coast road trip, a few friends came over for a cook out. From left, Sarah, William, Thom, Leila, Simone, and Amanda.




This was the Opera at the MOH last month.  It sounded so good and was a little intimidating to imagine playing in there but I'm ok now after having practiced in there.



Found some words:
When we fearlessly fight for what we believe in and remain hopelessly optimistic about life, love and the future, we create an authentic connection with all in our path.  Most importantly with ourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment