Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New Music on the Playlist...


I discovered this guy from the old school way of browsing a record shop and the passionate guy working the counter suggested I give it a try.  I'm going to miss the face to face conversations about music when the record shop goes extinct.



This dude made a master piece holed up one winter on his own.  A true new sound!



Fleetfoxes
The guys have a new folk sound that is easy to have on and doesn't annoy you like some new hipster wanna be music.  After living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn and being a signed artist, I'm always hyper sensitive to the press some bands get and don't really buy it at first.  Afterall, there are a number of hipster bands getting away with some cheap sounding stuff.  I love it all though.

 
Spoon
I was a little skeptical at first, I guess because they're from Texas but damn their new record is good!  The bass player does it for me, so economical and only plays where necessary in his own little groove.  Great sounding drums too!


Broken Social Scene
Probably my favorite band over the past few years.  A lot of talent flows in and out of this group, Feist being the most familiar.  This is one of those bands that you peek in the record store for something new every month and you often want to buy something you already have just to make it brand new again. "Looks just like the sun" is one of my favorites.  "Feels Good Lost" is a great driving record.


Phoenix
I've always been a big fan of Sofia Copola and I discovered these guys because she is married to the singer.  And what a charm he is.  We went to see them at Tipitina's in New Orleans and they blew me away.  They sounded as good or better than anyone I've ever heard.  I think it's the best record of 2009. It was nice to see the kids go crazy for this band from Paris, right here in our back yard.


No comments:

Post a Comment